We sell beautiful rebozos with multifunction:
✓ Scarf ✓ Carrying sling ✓ Rebozo massage (pregnant massage)
♥ By choosing Rebozo Copenhagen, you support unique artisans in keeping their craft tradition alive and their local communities. Our rebozos are woven under ethical responsibility with a fair piece price and gender equality. Care for the environment: our rebozos are woven by hand and foot on a pedal loom. Each rebozo takes 1-3 days to weave.
"We weave our emotions, family life and history into the design and colors. The rebozo is much more than a piece of fabric"
- Carlos, artisan
All about rebozo massage - questions and answers
WHAT IS REBOZO MASSAGE?
SHARE YOUR PREGNANCY - A way to be pregnant together
REBOZO MASSAGE RELIEVES DISCOMFORT AND RELAXES
RECOMMENDED BY MIDWIVES
- Shake your muscles - you grab the ends of a rebozo and pull the middle from side to side to make small shakes on the area of the body you want to massage. The little shakes of the muscles have a soothing effect and loosen up the muscles. As mentioned in the above paragraph, rebozo massage penetrates deeper into the muscles that the pregnant woman needs to be massaged while not being uncomfortable for either mother or baby in the womb, and it is a natural and non-invasive way.
- Stretch your muscles - you take hold of the ends of a rebozo, which wraps around the pregnant woman where you want to stretch the muscles. You pull/stretch the rebozo, and the stretch in the rebozo takes hold, so the muscles are stretched too. Like the shaking exercise, this stretch penetrates deeper and works to stretch tight and locked muscles that is hard to reach otherwise. Stretching positively affects the muscles of the abdomen and pelvis and helps to provide better space for the baby in the abdomen, as relaxed muscles create a larger space inside the abdomen. This exercise effect cannot be achieved using another cloth without stretching, and the dimensions of a rebozo are adapted to cover the area of the body that the pregnant woman needs stimulated and relieved.
- Pause for relaxation - pausing between shaking and stretching exercises gives the optimal effect as it helps the muscles to relax after the gentle touch and you can feel the muscles relax after the massage.
Some may think that they can just use a towel, bed linen or plain scarf and the like. Here you can read that even if you can do it, why you do not get the same effect and relief of discomfort or pain. It is amoung other reasons impractical when you have too much material between your hands and around your pregnant body to do the exercises. You can bring your own freshly washed rebozo to the hospital for rebozo massage during labor in the labor phase. Arrange this in advance with your midwife, doula or obstetrician if it is possible.
The rebozo has the right dimensions and stretch - so you get the full effect
Which came first the chicken or the egg? We can clearly say that the rebozo scarf came first, and over the centuries Mexican midwives developed the rebozo massage, which is traditionally performed with a handwoven rebozo. A rebozo therefore has the precise measurements, both in length and width, to suit the various rebozo exercises. A rebozo is perfect for getting a good grip with your hands, and there's not too much fabric around the pregnant woman's tummy or pelvis. It is also better for professionals to work with:
The precise measurements are important for the masseur (for example, your partner, doula or midwife) to massage in the right position. The rebozo is gentle while getting a real grip and deeper into the muscles than other fabrics, due to its measurements and handwoven rebozo stretch. Therefore, it also spares the back of professionals, who do not have to use as much effort as with other garments, and avoids the fabric slipping both in the hands of the masseur and on the pregnant body. With a real rebozo, you can safely do the three rebozo techniques described in the section "How to do a rebozo massage", and get the most out of the rebozo massage. Unfortunately, if the measurements do not fit the pregnant woman's body and there is no stretch in the garment used, a large part of the beneficial effect is lost.
Video guides to rebozo massage
Lying rebozo massage exercise - 1 min 37 sec
Manteada lower back massage exercise - 1 min 57 sec
Practical exercises with rebozo massage
Manteada rebozo exercise
What's the Effect:
- Relaxation of the lower back, pelvic floor and the buttocks. - Relieves general back pain.
Guidance and tips
- Place the centre of the rebozo around the pregnant woman's hips so that it covers the buttocks from the waist to the thighs.
- With a grip on the ends of the rebozo, move the rebozo in a short back and forth rhythm, or in a fast vibrating motion of the pregnant woman's choice. That is, you shake your bottom from side to side. (See video above.)
- You may also move in a figure eight to fully relax the pelvis.
- Try to be as close to the pregnant woman as possible, either kneeling or squatting on both knees. When you press the rebozo downwards against your body, you will also involve the persons lower back in the movement. Pressing the rebozo forward will also massage the buttocks, which has a relaxing effect on the pelvic floor.
- We recommend that if you are using a birthing/yoga ball, you should put a soft cloth on the ball to make it more comfortable in terms of smell and pleasant skin contact.
Standing up - back massage exercise
What's the Effect:
Relaxes the lower back and pelvis.
Guidance and tips
- The pregnant women should stand with her feet slightly apart. Take off socks and shoes (bare toes) to avoid slipping.
- Place the rebozo around the hips, from the waist to the upper part of the thighs, in order to cover the whole pelvic area.
- The center of the rebozo should be on the woman's tailbone with equal length pieces of fabric to hold on both sides.
- Grasp both ends of the rebozo and ensure a firm grip by wrapping them around the wrists
- Start with a relaxed rhythm, pulling from one side of the cloth to the other. You should move in the same way as the pregnant woman, so that she does not take the lead and move the rebozoen herself.
- It can be small or large movements, depending on the pregnant woman’s preferences.
- The pregnant woman stands, as described above, or sitting down with the rebozo is folded in half and placed around her waist.
- The woman can choose to have the arms inside or outside the rebozo, if she has the arms outside it gives more mobility in the shoulders.
Seated - massage of shoulders and back
What's the Effect:
- Relaxes the shoulders, back and torso - Improves contractions - contraction stimulation
Guidance and tips
- The pregnant woman should sit on the edge of the chair so that there is room for her to lean back.
- Place the open rebozo over the shoulders and back with the centre of the rebozo on the back, leaving equal lengths of fabric on both sides. When the woman leans back, she should feel supported by the rebozo on both sides.
- Now pull the rebozo from side to side. Start slowly, increasing to a more intense rhythm. Take short breaks in between sessions.
- To ensure her continued relaxation, ask the woman about her preferences.
A mini-series on rebozo massage
MIDWIFE LAURA TALKS ABOUT HER REBOZO ADVENTURE IN MEXICO
Section 1 - About rebozo in pregnancy
rebozo massage is natural and safe pregnancy massage
Rebozo massage treats and relieves pregnancy symptomsRebozo massage is used during pregnancy as a pain-relieving and relaxing massage for the back, lower back, buttocks and pelvic floor. It helps to get the baby in a good position before birth, and can also get the baby to turn correctly.
Used in Danish hospitals and by professionals for prenatal care.The Rebozo technique is used in Danish hospitals: Hvidovre Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Herlev Hospital and more. Also used in many hospitals around the world. Midwives and doulas use it for their childbirth preparation courses, for workshops and as a helpful tool for pregnant women.
Webshop with authentic rebozos for rebozo massageIn our webshop you will find a good selection of authentic rebozos for rebozo massage - Nordic style combined with authentic Mexican craftsmanship. By choosing Rebozo Copenhagen, you support local artisans in keeping their tradition and craft alive in their communities.
Rebozo multifunction for rebozo massage - size 1-3